Monday, February 3, 2014

Creativity: Blocked by the "No Pain, No Gain" Mentality

I noticed several flawed forms of logic I've been walking around with in an experience I had recently. I had decided to get myself a massage. It felt very luxurious and wonderful to schedule it. I found myself thinking, "I deserve this. I've had a very stressful month."




And that made me stop - why do I only deserve a nice massage after a stressful month? Of course, that's a great way to reward yourself, but it also implies that after a stressful month is the only time I "deserve" a massage or other treat. This line of thinking sets me up to only engaging in self-care after "tough" times, rather than engaging in it regularly simply because it's nice and helps sustain me at the best version of me possible.

I was quick to notice this line of thinking. Well, that probably isn't entirely true, because I'm pretty sure I've been carrying this logic with me for most of my adolescent/adult life. But, hey, at least I noticed it eventually!

I am now working on releasing that limiting set of beliefs in favor of a much more open, allowing version of those beliefs: I deserve and can enjoy nice things whenever, wherever, simply because I exist. However, that doesn't mean that I will walk around entitled or selfish, taking from others because I "deserve" it. Instead, it means I can flexibly engage in self-care every single day, rather than only once I've surmounted some major challenge or problem.

So, off I go to my massage. I love going to these types of places. I will purposefully get there a little early so I can enjoy the ambience of a cushy waiting room, stocked with cucumber water, ambient music, and tons of magazines that I rarely would buy for myself. (Although, another victory! I just recently got myself subscriptions to two magazines so I'll be regularly enjoying these activities in my own home!)




The massage table was heated which was amazing and delicious. I could feel myself melting into the table. Once the masseuse came in, she quickly went to work relaxing my back muscles. It was great. And then my mind starting chattering, as it loves to do. "Should I ask her to use more pressure? It's not hurting. I really want this to detox my body, to clear me out, and it probably has to hurt to do that, right? She should probably be using more pressure to make this worth it. I really want this to help..." and so on and so on and so on. Finally, I realized this and started silently talking back to my worrying:

"STOP! It does not have to HURT in order to do something good for you! Let go of the No Pain, No Gain mentality!"

I reflected on that a bit more and realized how much time I spend focusing on how much an activity "hurts" (emotionally, physically, cognitively) and how that must make it worthwhile. I don't do this consciously, but it is very often that I will see a high value experience or item inherently require a significant cost to me whether in time, energy, money, morale, or effort.

I also know that this severely limits our ability to be creative beings. By focusing on how something "good" has to hurt, we stifle our ability to create. We stifle our ability to show up, to practice, to try, because if we do anything "good" it is likely to be painful in some way.

How does the No Pain, No Gain mentality block you? Chances are it's stifling you in some way - what are those ways? Practice releasing the requirement to be hurt in the pursuit of things you love and enjoy and see what good can flow to you in a way that feels great.





2 comments: