Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Scary Part of Free Time

It's pretty typical in Western culture to be dissatisfied with the 9-to-5 lifestyle. More and more people are wishing to design their own hours, work when inspired to work, and take care of their other desires and responsibilities when it fits best with their schedules.

This is a big desire of my own. I love working when I feel energized and motivated towards it - work happens so much more quickly in those moments. Fortunately, my jobs have almost always been quite hands-off and relaxed about scheduled hours. I've always enjoyed that and in recent years I've wanted even more flexbility and freedom.

(Hint: This is how humans are designed. Once you achieve one level of your dream, you will start craving the next level. It's the wonderful way that we are constantly motivated to grow and experience new joys.)

During this January, I have embarked on a greater level of freedom. It's a temporary reprieve from my typical work responsibilities, and it's a work-sanctioned break because of interviews I have to complete around the country. Once February rolls around, I expect to go back to my typical flexible schedule that is a bit more restrained that my current schedule. So, this January is an opportunity, or a test of sorts, for how I can handle all of this free time.

Free time is typically pretty tough for me. I sit around wishing and hoping and resenting obligations that I'm not excited about... and then a wide open day on the weekend will hit. And I'll freeze. The opportunities and choices and potential of the day stops me in my tracks. What can happen is that I often:

          a) decide the whole house needs to be cleaned and lose myself in that for several hours;
          b) decide that now's the time that I can finally catch up on all of those backlogged shows on Netflix - also       
              losing several hours;
          c) decide that it's time to solve that "project" that my mind suddenly decided was very important.

Typically these projects that my mind comes up with are very time-consuming, have no clear end point, are motivated by some form of insecurity, and involve online shopping.

What all of these options are, clearly, is procrastination. Procrastination can disguise itself so well! At least in my opinion. From the outside, it's probably pretty obvious. I'm run away from the anxiety that shows up when I have some space and time to do exactly what I want...

 
"Exactly what I want" - that's daunting! So many of us participate in the "rat race" and constantly bemoan that others are keeping us from what we want. But, is that really true? Chances are you're choosing to stay stuck because staying stuck feels safer than the anxiety of the unknown and the limitless.


Oh, Milton...* 

So, here I am, in a much more wide open field than I was in during 2013. This is temporary, so it's a safe time to try things out. I want this type of lifestyle to become my full-time lifestyle and if I do things well (read: do not fall into timesucks every single day), it'll help me believe that I can be successful on my own.

Here are some strategies I am using to help keep me on task:
  • First, I gave up Facebook, which I had already known was a very unhelpful timesuck to me. That's just me. Before you jump into unstructured freedom, take a look at what activities you engage in when procrastinating or avoiding anxiety. See if they are actually helpful or if you are simply losing a lot of time to something that doesn't benefit you.
  • I find it helpful to list my intentions at the beginning of the day - especially weekend days. You don't have to do this religiously, but even doing it several times a week helps me keep my mind on task for those off days. 
    •  Please note: I did not say make yourself a "to do" list. Make yourself an Intentions List. These are things that you intend to do, see, or feel and if you do not get to them, it's OK. Also, put lots of positive items on the list - things you enjoy. I really like dancing in the shower to start my day, so I put "dance" on my intentions list every time. Find things that really brighten you and help you shine, and make sure some of those are on your list. 
  • If you find yourself in a web of procrastination, try to acknowledge it. It's OK. It happens to everyone and it's very natural. There is a reason why people are so stuck in the 9-to-5 lifestyle. It's safe and secure and you know what to expect. This is something new and it takes courage to try it out and stay with it. 
  • Seek support from people who can give great advice about this lifestyle. My primary recommendation: 4-Hour Work Week.
  • Get some sunlight each day. If you're working at home, you can get isolated and removed from nature pretty quickly. Get outside and enjoy your surroundings. 
Let me know how it goes! How exciting to be getting more and more of what we want. :)

*Office Space reference - such a funny movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment